Half Double Crochet Tutorial – How to HDC ST
How to make a half double crochet stitch? In this tutorial, I show you how to make the HDC st. This is great if you are new to crochet and would like to learn how to create this very simple and effective stitch.
If you are familiar with crochet stitches, give one of my Beginners Crochet Projects a shot here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUmcifMqZH5tJr9oh9bZx2QMs-Z4kol2X
How to create the Half Double Crochet (HDC) Stitch (ST):
- Attach the yarn to your hook and crochet 5 chains.
- Turn your work by turning your hook so that it faces the chain stitches. Find the second stitch from your hook by looking for the “V.”
- Once you have found the second stitch from your hook, yarn over and insert your hook into the 2nd chain from your hook. Pull the working yarn through the stitch. Make sure when you insert your hook that you are between the “V” and the back loop. You should have 4 loops on your hook.
- Yarn over and pull your working yarn through the top 2 loops on your hook. You should have 3 loops on your hook.
- Yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on your hook.
- You have now completed 1 HDC! Continue practicing by yarning over and inserting your hook in the next chain stitch that forms a “V.” Yarn over and pull through 2 loops on your hook. Yarn over and pull through the remaining 3 loops. Repeat as many times as you need to grasp the basics of the stitch.